Wednesday, June 24, 2009

earning money the slimy way

With Lily's birthday fast approaching she has been more and more excited about the prospect of the new princess bike she has been asking for. For the past year or so we have told her to save her pennies to help pay for the bike, and she has. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find too many things for her to do to earn money, but yesterday she scored and scored big (for a 3 year old).
At our old house we never got snails so I never knew that she'd be fascinated by the grotesquely slimy creatures. Since being at my mom's though, Grandma has gone out weekly to put out snail bait with Lily at her heels. The following day they'll go out and pick the snails up to throw in the garbage...she's not grossed-out at all. So when my mom suggested they go over to Great-Grandma's to check out the snails after baiting the day before, Lily and her cousin Abbie readily agreed. Great-Grandma said she'd pay a penny a snail....little did she know it'd break the bank.
They set out on their expedition with my mom towing a yellow newspaper bag. They counted as they walked around from plant to plant and bush to bush. Zoe, not wanting to be left but not quite ready to touch the snails, would supervise and say, "Get it, Abbie!" When all was said and done the girls had collected 252! snails. That was $1.25 apiece, and Lily was ecstatic. My mom then figured with all the days Lily had helped her at her own house over the past few weeks, she owed her at least a dollar. So I guess it pays to be brave and non-slime-aphobic. With less than two months to her birthday, I guess she'll be looking for a lot more snails....and she'll be on her new bike in no time.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Great way to earn the $$...especially for a brave girl. Sheesh--over 200 is nasty. But, I'm sure that both G'mas are glad she's willing to be on the pick-up end.
I remember picking up plums that had dropped from my Dad's tree. Even at the rate of 5 for a penny I made a FURTUNE!

heath said...

That's hilarious! I remember in Elementary School a group of us would collect snails in our pencil boxes as pets of sorts. I don't really know the logic to why we did it, but I do know that they never lived very long in there.