Saturday, September 27, 2008

Dirt, garage sales and 5 years later...

I find it kind of interesting when people will say, 'oh, you just have to have a little boy'.
I guess all things associated with boy--rough and tumble, dirt and bugs, snails and puppy-dog tails--seem appealing? If that really were the reason, then said commenter would realize that I certainly don't need to have a boy because I have Zoe.
I often tease Andrew that Zoe is the child he got as a payback from his 'angelic' days as a child. She can be as sweet and docile when she wants but can also be so defiant and downright stubborn that I just shake my head and force myself to laugh. (I told myself to do just this tonight when she was eating dirt for the fourth time in about as many minutes) I personally don't see her appeal of dirt--maybe once to subside any curiosity, yes, but it's numerous times every day. I guess I can conjecture that she's deficient in some kind of mineral, but even that's probably not the reason...she just plain likes to do things of which I disapprove. ('Hey! I know a fun game...let's see how many things I can do that MOm doesn't like and then do them over and over again).
I just have to shake my head again and realize how different two little girls can be...same two gene donors but entirely different personalities. One (the smaller, but barely) will pinch/hit/kick the other (older, but not always the wiser), ensuing screeches and crocodile tears calling for some kind of intervention. (And for the umpteenth time, Lily, you're bigger--stand up for yourself or atleast move out of range!)
But, on the flipside, Lily is the one who is very physically daring while Zoe is very tentative with what she does/tries. Interesting.
And, as my title suggests, we had our first yard sale this morning. This was in combination with several other families in our HOA. We had a fairly good turn out, got rid of some stuff and netted $80. (It could have been more had Andrew not given a bunch of stuff away last month--he's definitely NOT a pack rat).
Last, but not least, Andrew and I celebrated the BIG 5 on the 20th....doesn't seem like that long until I start to list all we have done in that five years. Time flies--here's to many more 5's!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That was fun to read. Our two are similar in so many ways...I agree that if someone says we "need a boy" for the dirt and mess...they haven't met our GIRL either!
Congrats on five years!

J + A Humphreys said...

Happy 5 years! I remember meeting you RIGHT after you got married. I was like, what? You got married like 2 days ago? haha! Good old times at Dr. B's drug shop. I think Zoe and Drew should be friends. He is so a dirty little boy. Lots of baths at our house.

J + A Humphreys said...

Oh my goodness...long live Deb. hahaha! I haven't thought about her in so long. Her image in my head gives me the willies! And yes, you were an automatic assumption. :)