Monday, February 23, 2009

freedom

Decline of a Nation
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it." Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 - 2005

2 comments:

Sarah said...

so true.

although I do agree with helping people out (to an extent)...my example is this: our furnace is out. done. gone. freezing. a lady in the ward, who in my opinion abuses the "system" - church and government, comes to me yesterday with info of a company with grant money to help people "weatherize" based on income. I tell you, she knows how to get nearly everything out of programs, disability and welfare. I could (maybe should) look into it to get a furnace at a great discounted rate...BUT Matt's opinion was "um, no, I'm not going to have someone else get me a furnace so that my taxes will be raised in turn to pay for everyone elses..."

I think today's generation of kids need to learn to WORK for what they get. And, our generation needs to remember that our parents worked ALOT longer before expecting to have what we're thinking is normal for our age. We won't keep getting bailed out of stupid decisions...

ok...off my soapbax...

heath said...

Amen, amen, amen!!! Why is this concept so difficult for the nation to grasp?