Friday, March 27, 2009

run away

This week has been a tough one for some reason--not because of any particular instance or event, but because I was just feeling moody.The weather has taken a toll on my mental well-being,and I've felt sapped. That little peek of spring got me so revved up and sunny-feeling, and then the snow, wind and cold came back, and I've had no motivation to do anything. Wednesday and Thursday found us moping around the house (well, at least I was). The girls entertained themselves for the most part and watched way too much t.v. My usual go-to activities when it's cold seemed too daunting, and I was literally feeling the cabin-fever-craziness building up inside me.
I decided right before Andrew came home after a day-shift of training, that I was going running no matter what. Now I usually exercise the morning....I do better on an empty stomach and seem to just have more motivation then. I hadn't been able to go this whole week because Andrew's been working during the day instead of his normal afternoon shift. But I was in desperate need of an escape from my own doldrums.
So I have to say that when I showed up to the gym, I was ready to hit the ground running (sorry for the bad pun). After sweating my emotions off and four miles later, I can honestly say that I felt a huge welling leave my body.
Ever since studying and practicing hypnobirthing with my two labors, I have been able to use the concepts in many aspects of my life. So as I ran I told myself in rhythm to let go of the stress, breathe in the peace, leave the tension on the floor, gulp in the relaxation....
It worked so well that I had moments where I felt myself welling up, my chest getting tight because of the emotions building up and leaving me. I have to say it was one of the most powerful, emotional experiences I've had while exercising.
Thank goodness that I can run...that I have the ability as well the opportunity to get out and have some me time...What amazing bodies and minds we are born with. I'm in awe every day.

2 comments:

heath said...

Sounds like a great workout! Working out always makes me feel better, but putting all of that with it sounds really great.

Amy W said...

I love this post. Running solves many issues. :) Oh, I am Abbie's sister in law, not a creepy stranger.