Friday, August 29, 2008

Indian Summer

I love this time of year. At certain times on certain days there is a distinct crispness to the air. I find myself drawn to our front porch to visit with our wonderful neighbors as our kids play together. I will miss our little 'situation' here in podunk Clearfield when it's all said and done.

That being said, I've been de-personalizing our house this week. Perhaps I've gone too far in watching the HGTV 'Sell your House'-type shows, but I decided it's worth a try. According to HGTV and staging experts, buyers want to see your house and what it offers (ie square footage, architectural detail, etc). Thus, that also means that buyers are not there to admire your stuff. You are showing them your house not your preference for decor. My mom commented that she'd have thought that people would like pictures around because it makes the house feel homey. I don't know. Perhaps I did jump the gun. All my family photos are now boxed up (and boy, did I have a lot more than I thought).

Maybe I've jinxed us, and now we won't get anyone to even come through to look. Seeing as we're heading into fall this could very well be true...not the best time to have your house on the market. OH well, when it's all said and done, I have that much more already packed---less to do when we do sell. My house does seem to lack a little personality, I will admit. But in a way it may also be a small step toward helping me let go. I have a hard time doing that...with almost everything. I definitely need an adjustment period for change. sigh.

Speaking of change, I got released from my calling as Beehive advisor. The president was so on top of things that when she heard we were on the brink of closing, she found a replacement (who can actually go to Mutual.( Surprisingly, it was a calling that I really didn't mind and looking back, I can see a lot of growth in my teaching and am grateful for that. Other than that, I've been keeping busy doing a bunch of deals... the problem now if having a place to store it all. LOL. I pack to de-clutter but then buy more to take up more room. Smart, Jill, real smart. Oh well, it's all FREE (or mostly so). Who can turn down free stuff (and yes, it is stuff we actually use)?

And I bought myself roses. They were on sale for $3.50 for a dozen long stemmed roses...breathtakingly gorgeous as roses are. couldn't pass it up. I'd rather buy them myself and spend $3.50 than have Andrew (who doesn't 'do deals') splurge and spend $50. (or as he says, I'm just too practical to buy flowers for).

1 comment:

The Taylors said...

Hi Jill. This is Camilla. I've been reading your blog for a little while now...I can't remember how I found it.

I was wondering where you find all your great deals. I've really been trying to get into coupons and stuff, but I haven't gotten the hang of it all yet in order to get free stuff.

Anyway, it's fun to read updates on your cute little family! Good luck with the house!